I already belong to the National AAP, why should I become a member of the Uniformed Services West Chapter?
• Provides advocacy to military children and their families through the AAP.
• Build coalitions with other organizations working toward improving children’s health and well-being.
• Promote the interests of Uniformed Services West pediatricians in the American Academy of Pediatrics.
• Leadership positions on the Executive committee
• Network with other pediatricians with similar interests and expertise in Uniformed Services.
• Improve chapter membership participation on national AAP issues. Major Rebecca Christi was just selected as the District VIII Assistant District Representative of the Fellowship Trainee Committee of the AAP Section on Pediatric Trainees.
• Supports military residency training programs in our geographical region.
• One resident from each program is selected to attend NCE on a grant from the Chapter each year
• A resident from NMCSD has been sponsored to attend the California Advocacy Day at the state capital for the last three years
• Supports the pediatric interest group at USUHS
• Outstanding Pediatric Medical Student Award USUHS (for students who completed their pediatric rotation at a site in our Chapter)
What has your Chapter done lately?
• Presents Chapter “Pediatrician of the Year Awards” to three outstanding military pediatricians at the Uniformed Services Section meeting at NCE. Recent awardees: LCDR C. Scott Love, MC, USN, CPT Benjamin Telsey, MC, USA, and MAJ Michelle Lawson, USAF, MC
• Nominates up to 3 Chapter members for Special Achievement awards from District VIII. Recent awardees: CPT Benjamin Telsey, MC, USA, LtCol Eric Flake, MC, USA, and Maj Luis Rohena
• Chapter Excellence Award 2015 for an outstanding annual program effectively furthering the objectives of the Association
• Grant management.- Current grant: APA Young Investigator Award – War related Stressors on Military Families: Resiliency vs Adverse Outcomes
• Sponsored a recent resolution supporting the delayed deployment of postpartum Active Duty mothers in all branches of the military for one year in support of breastfeeding
-CATCH grant assistance
Annual Chapter Dues:
Fellow, Specialty Fellow, Retired Fellow, or Affiliate $50; Candidate fellow $25; Medical student or Resident $0.
Whom do I contact?
Contact Ms. Elina H. Ly, Chapter Executive Director at 619.532.5233 or email@example.com.